Information for Ukrainian Guests in Dundee image

Information for Ukrainian Guests in Dundee

Ukrainian Guests - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Питання та відповіді для українських гостів

Вопросы и ответы для украинских гостей

  1. I have just arrived, what do I do now?

 Staff at your accommodation will assist you to check in and allocate you a room. Please settle in and get comfortable.          In due course you will be asked to complete some information that will help you to receive the support you need           during   your stay in Dundee.

On Arrival – you will be provided with a welcome pack welcoming you to Scotland and Dundee and it will explain what will happen next.

Registration process – this is key information that is required to be completed and helps to make sure basic needs are met and that the right information is captured for the Cosla matching process.  You will be asked to complete a registration form and provide photos of your passport, the stamped page and also your Home Office letter outlining your Scottish Super Sponsor status and case number.  Please use this secure email address to submit the photos of your documentation.  This email address is

  1. What can I do now?
    1. You can apply for your Biometric Residency Permit (BRP)if you have not yet done so at
    1. You can apply for a bank account.  You can either go into a Royal Bank of Scotland branch or you can do this all online.  This can be done by clicking the following link.

Ukrainian Refugee Account Opening | Royal Bank of Scotland Bank Accounts (

    1. During your stay a member of staff from Welfare Rights will support you to apply for your Universal Credit.  This is usually done some time following registration.  We shall endeavour to do this the following day. As part of this process you will need to attend the Job Centre in Dundee.  To make an appointment to see someone here please call

              Telephone: 0845 604 3719
              Textphone: 01382 373079

  1. Where can I get a sim card?

The Red Cross will provide a sim card including data for six months if required. The Red Cross will discuss this with you as part of the registration process, unless you have already received one in the UK.

  1. When can I look for work?

As long as you have begun the process of applying for your BRP there is no reason that you cannot take on work immediately.  Proof of identity will be required in terms of passport and evidence of approval into country through home office letter. 

  1. How do I get to my Biometric Residency Permit appointment?

You can choose to visit Glasgow or Edinburgh for your appointment.

When applying for your BRP appointment, you can select either the appointment at the Pentagon Centre in Glasgow. The full address is: 36 Washington Street, Glasgow, G3 8AZ. If you put the post code (G3 8AZ) into google maps it will help you find the property.

Or for attending Edinburgh, select the appointment at Regus, 9-10 St Andrew Square, 1st floor Edinburgh EH2 2AF.  If you put the post code (EH2 2AF) into google maps it will help you find the property.  

You can get to Glasgow or Edinburgh by bus at Seagate, Dundee DD1 2HR or by train at South Union street, Dundee DD1 4BY 

Note **  Please ensure to have your BRP appointment QR code ready to be scanned on arrival.

  1. What happens if I move on and my Biometric Residency Permit is delivered to the hotel?

We will be aware of your new address and forward on any mail.

  1. My Biometric Residency Permit is going to a different City, what can I do?

You can decide to take public transport to pick it up from that location


The hotel where you were staying will take a copy of your new address so they can forward it on to you.

  1. When will I start to get English Classes?

As there are many people looking to access English classes the ones provided by Dundee City Council are currently fully booked however, we are looking into the University providing some.

  1. How can I get around the City?

Once you are hosted with families you will be entitled to a 4 week bus pass here in Dundee.  We are uncertain if this will be the same in other areas of Scotland.

We are looking into transport for you at the moment as we acknowledge that while you are staying in hotels you will want to get out and about and attend appointments.

  1. Will I get support after I leave the hotel?

You may get an offer of accommodation with a host. Support staff will support you to make this transition. If you are placed with a host, it is the hosts job to support you whilst you are living with them.  If you are placed in a property of your own, the local authority will have a team that will work with you and support you.

  1. Can I register with a doctor/dentist?

You are not able to register with a doctor or dentist until you have a permanent address.  If you need a nurse or medication, a nurse will be available on certain days of the week to discuss any concerns at your hotel. Please allow up to seven days for a refill of any medication. Please see the hotel for information on when the nurse team will be in the hotel. 

  1. I have an emergency medical issue

Contact 111 and ask for a Ukrainian interpreter if needed. Dental or medical. Ask for a Ukrainian Interpreter.

  1. When will I get money?

You should have been given 50 pounds on your arrival at Edinburgh or Glasgow. You will then get the remainder of your money on arrival at your destination. Payments amounting to two hundred pounds in total per person will be given at the hotel you are staying in.

  1. Scottish Refugee Council.  

Free and confidential helpline on 0808 1967 274 for information and advice on refugee issues. Available Monday-Friday, from 9am to 5pm.





Scottish Refugee Council 

Scottish Refugee Council is Scotland's national refugee charity. Their experienced advisors can give you free and confidential advice on your rights as someone seeking protection in Scotland.

This includes:

  • Money
  • Housing
  • Education
  • Healthcare
  • Learning English
  • ID documents
  • Ukrainian and Russia interpreters available. Please tell them if you need one.

    Call us on freephone 0808 196 7274

    Helpline open 9am - 5pm from Monday to Friday



    Центр допомоги біженцям – це благодійна організація, що працює по всій Шотландії. Наші досвічені консультанти можуть дати вам безкоштовні та конфіденціальні поради про ваші права як людей, що шукають прихистку у Шотландії.

    Це включає:

  • Гроші
  • Житло
  • Освіту
  • Система охорони здоров’я
  • Вивчення англійської мови
  • Документи ідентифікуючі особистість
  • У нас є доступ до українських і російських перекладачів. Будь ласка, скажіть нам, чи потрібен вам перекладач.

    Телефонуйте на нашу безкоштовну лінію

    0808 196 7274

    Лінія відкрита з 9.00 по 17.00

    з понеділка по п’ятницю.