Make A Complaint image

Make A Complaint

The Dundee Health and Social Care Partnership really values complaints. If the services of the partnership have not met your expectations, we want to make it right for you. We listen to the views of patients, carers, and supported people to help inform and improve our services. If you want to complain about any aspect of the Dundee Health and Social Care Partnership, please do get in touch.

View Our Complaints Handling Procedure

Dundee City Integration Joint Board and Dundee Health and Social Care Partnership value complaints.  If we have not met your expectations, we want to make it right for you.  We listen to the views of patients, supported people, carers and the public to help inform and improve our services. 

This leaflet details the complaint procedure in relation to the Dundee Health and Social Care Partnership (HSCP) and Integration Joint Board (IJB) and advises how to make a complaint.  It includes information about what you can expect from us when we are dealing with your complaint.

We use three complaint procedures depending on what your complaint is about.  These are:  

  • Dundee City Integration Joint Board Complaint Procedure – complaints about the IJB’s policies, decisions, or its administrative or decision-making processes
  • NHS Tayside Complaint Procedure – complaints about NHS services
  • DHSCP Social Work Complaint Procedure – complaints about social work and social care services

All of our complaint procedures follow the Scottish Public Service Ombudsman’s Model Complaint Handling Procedure.  This means they are designed to be easy to use and follow a three stage resolution process. The three stages are

  • Frontline resolution
  • Investigation
  • Referral to the Scottish Public Service Ombudsman

If your complaint is about a joint health or social care matter you don’t need to make separate complaints, we can handle this is as a single complaint, and will aim to provide a joint response.

How do I complain?

You can make your complaint in person, by phone, by e-mail, online or in writing.

When complaining, please tell us:

  • Your full name and contact details, including a telephone number and email address if you have one.
  • As much detail as you can about the complaint.
  • What has gone wrong; and
  • What outcome you are seeking.

How long do I have to make a complaint?

Normally, you must make your complaint within six months of:

  • The event you want to complain about; or
  • Finding out that you have a reason to complain.

In exceptional circumstances, we may be able to accept a complaint after this time limit.  If you feel the time limit should not apply to your complaint, please tell us why.

What happens when I have complained?

We will always tell you who is dealing with your complaint.  Our complaints procedure has two stages; frontline and investigation with a third which sits with the SPSO.

What if I’m still dissatisfied?

After we have given you our final decision, if you are dissatisfied with our response or the way we dealt with your complaint, you can ask the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO) to look at it.

The SPSO is an independent organisation that investigates complaints.  SPSO is not an advocacy or support service (but there are other organisations who can help you with advocacy or support).

You can ask the SPSO to look at your complaint if:

  • You have gone all the way through the Council’s complaints handling procedure.
  • It is less than 12 months after you became aware of the matter you want to complain about; and
  • The matter has not been (and is not being) considered in court.

The SPSO will ask you to complete a complaint form and provide a copy of our final response to your complaint.  You can do this online at or call them on 0800 377 7330.

Getting help making your complaint:

We understand that you may be unable or reluctant to make a complaint yourself.  We accept complaints from a representative of a person who is dissatisfied with our services.  For example, we can take complaints from a friend, a relative, or an advocate or adviser, if you have given them your consent to complain for you.

You can find out about advocates in your area by contacting the Scottish Independent Advocacy Alliance on 0131 510 9410 or visit their website at

You can find out about advisers in your area through Citizens Advice Scotland at

Who to contact:

If your complaint is about the Dundee City Integration Joint Board’s:

  • policies
  • decisions
  • and / or administrative or decision-making processes in coming to a decision

Or If your complaint is about a Social Care Service:

  • failure or refusal to provide a service
  • inadequate quality or standard of service
  • dissatisfaction with one of our policies or its impact on the individual
  • failure to properly apply law, procedure or guidance when delivering services
  • failure of administrative processes
  • delays in service provision
  • treatment by or attitude of a member of staff
  • disagreement with a decision made in relation to social work services.

You should contact :


Dundee City Integration Joint Board

Claverhouse Social Work Centre

1 Jack Martin Way

Claverhouse East Industrial Estate



Tel:   01382 438300



If your complaint is about a Health Service

  • Your care and/or treatment
  • Delays
  • Failure to provide a service
  • An inadequate standard of service
  • Lack of information

You should contact:

NHS Tayside Complaints and Feedback team

Ninewells Hospital



Tel:   0800 027 5507